What is the schedule of events?
The 2018 summit runs from October 30th to November 2nd in San Miguel De Allende. There will also be optional Academies on Oct 28, Oct 29, Nov 3, and Nov 4. We are currently in the process of creating our schedule of events and making sure that we have all of the topics covered that our community has asked for! You can see our 2018 Speaker line up here and our Program Schedule here.
What activities will be available for the kids?
Who is the event for?
The Family Adventure Summit is for families who are interested in incorporating long-term travel as part of their lifestyle, whether they’ve been traveling nomadically for years, travel a few months per year from home, or are just starting out on their journey. There will also be plenty of opportunities for our attendees to ask questions and give answers in our panel discussions and “unconference” sessions. Click here to hear from other families who attended our 2017 conference.
What topics will be covered at the event?
We hope to cover all aspects of long-term travel. Logistics, education, location independence, entrepreneurship, money, single-parent travelers, family relationships, getting more out of travel, living your truth, dealing with naysayers, staying in contact with friends and family, intuition, and many more!
What will the structure of each day look like?
On the first three days of the conference, we plan to start around 9:30am and end around 5:30pm most days, with a 2-hour break for lunch, another 2-3 hours for dinner, and an evening activity. However, there are some exceptions, and the times vary a bit from day to day. See the full schedule here.
Typically the adults will have several workshop options going on while the kids’ program is happening. But there are also times when we’ll be bringing all the families together for certain activities or announcements, and other times when we’ll have families get together in smaller groups so you can get to meet other families on a more intimate level.
On the last day of the conference, we’ll be coming together for a few hours during the day for face painting, flower crown making, a traditional Callejoneada (celebration with mariachi and mojigangas) and more! The rest of the day will be aimed at getting out in small groups and exploring the amazing Day of the Dead celebrations around the city.
How do I register?
You can register your family here. To help fuel our mission of bringing the benefits of long-term family travel to more families, The Family Adventure Summit donates 100% of its profits to organizations and projects that support family travel, as well as supporting various local communities around the world.
What does the conference ticket price cover?
Tickets include access to 3 full days of speaker sessions, workshops, and activities from October 30th to November 1. November 2nd will be spent together celebrating the Day of the Dead! Food and lodging are not included.
You can add on optional Academy workshops (not included in the cost of your family tickets) which are all-day deep-dives for the topics you are most interested in. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for more information on the optional Academies.
What if I need to cancel?
We offer a no-questions-asked refund up to 90 days pre-event. If you cancel your tickets after July 31st, 2018, no refund will be offered however, you may be able to transfer your tickets to another family upon approval from the Family Adventure Summit.
How do I reserve my hotel room?
There are several room times available at Hotel Real De Minas. You can find the options and pricing on our Location Page.
Ready to book your stay? Call 01-800 1476762 or 011 -52-415 152 2626 Ext 551 or email email@example.com. Be sure to mention you are with the Family Adventure Summit in order to get our group rate!
Do I have to stay in the hotel?
No, it is not required to stay in the hotel, but it is recommended. There will be many evening activities, early mornings, and very busy days. Kids (and adults too) will really enjoy the freedom that comes along with staying overnight. For more information on accommodation in San Miguel click here.
We would like to stay in an RV. Is there camping nearby?
Yes. There are two options for RV camping in San Miguel
- San Miguel RV Park offers the closest RV accommodation…it is only a 6-minute walk from the conference center! This RV park can only accommodate rigs UNDER 23 feet.
- San Ramon Hotel and RV Park is a bit outside of town and is an 11-minute drive from the conference center.
How soon do I need to book accommodation?
Don’t wait too long. We recommend booking your accommodation as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. For a more in-depth look at booking accommodation in San Miguel de Allende, please read our Where To Stay in San Miguel de Allende post!
How Do I Get There?
San Miguel de Allende does not have its own airport. If you are planning on flying to San Miguel de Allende, your airport choices in order of proximity are Queretaro (QRO), Leon (BJX), or Mexico City (MEX). Click here for more detailed information on how to get from the airport to SMA.
Can I come without my family?
The Family Adventure Summit is going to be fun for the whole family! While we highly encourage you to bring your family to the event, we do understand that this may not be possible either logistically or financially. If bringing your family does not work for you, we do offer the purchase of a single or couples ticket.
Who will be there?
There will be families from all over the world in attendance!
Does FAS have a religious affiliation?
No, FAS is a secular event. There will be families there with various religious beliefs, as well as atheism and agnosticism, and we welcome everyone. We have no agenda to promote any particular religion. We welcome people from all cultures, races, religions, and sexual orientation.
What time should I arrive?
We encourage you to arrive early to explore the area. There will be informal meetups of attendees in the days leading up to the summit!
Is there a Facebook group for Family Adventure Summit?
Yes! If you are planning on coming to the event, please join our private Facebook Group here. This is a place where you can ask questions and schedule pre and post-conference meetups with other families.
How can I help?
Would you like to volunteer? Do you have a special skill that you could offer? Are you able to help at the event? We can use your help before, during and after the conference and volunteering is a great way to feel like a part of the community. Just let us if you are willing to help out and we will put your talents to good use! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the optional Academies?
These “Academies” or all-day workshops are your opportunity to learn and take your life to the next level in leadership (for teens), travel, relationships, education, and entrepreneurship, in much more depth than we can do in a typical 1-2 hour session during the conference.
These academies are led by seasoned travelers and teachers with vast experience and big hearts, ready and excited to help you grow and succeed in your own family travel adventure.
- Why are you offering these Academies? Because of you! ? Many of you have asked for sessions that can go deeper than what a 1 or even 2-hour conference session can offer. So… we put together these academies on topics that were hugely popular at our inaugural conference. Each one is led by a skilled and knowledgeable facilitator, including those who received top marks by our attendees.
- Why are these academies not included in the conference registration? Because of the significant time, space, and energy commitment required to run several all-day workshops with the focus and intensity that is needed, and because not everyone is interested in attending an all-day workshop on these topics, we felt that asking everyone to pay part of the cost of workshops they won’t attend wouldn’t be fair. So we have made this an optional component of FAS 2018.
- Will childcare be provided during these academies? No. But we will have a list of local child-care providers that will be able to provide child care at a cost. We encourage you to make arrangements with a spouse, other visiting families, or a babysitter to take care of your younger children so you can focus 100% on this learning opportunity. However, we welcome you to bring infants in arms as needed. We will be providing a list of local babysitters to attendees before the conference.
- Is lunch included as part of the academies? No. Lunch is not included but you will have a long lunch break to explore neighboring restaurants.
- Are these academies more for beginning or experienced travelers?Both! These topics have never-ending levels of depth and growth. There is always more to learn and practice. Whatever level you are at, our aim is to provide value, perspective, and practical takeaways for you to apply in your own life journeys to make your family travel adventure more fulfilling and meaningful.
- What is your Academy cancellation policy? Just like the main conference itself, you can register now, and cancel up until July 31 for a full refund. After July 31, there are no refunds, but you can still transfer your spot to someone else. Click here to register for the academies today! And we hope to see you there!