Travel Academy: Creating, Sustaining, & Optimising Your Family Travel Experiences
Led by George, Bobi, Lalika, and Réka Kaponay
Sunday, Oct 28, 9:00am-5:00pm
Join us for this full-day, highly interactive Travel Academy, where through Story, Collaborative Engagement, and Hands-On practical application, we will cover together the crucial topics every family wishing to travel long-term and thrive should consider, contemplate, and know…
We will ask and endeavor to answer some of the crucial big questions of long-term family travel and in our time together, we will create your own family story and traveling plan that will include the answers to:
• Why it is you are wanting to travel together? - Getting to the heart of the real-why and meaningful purpose of your journey
• What kind of traveling experiences do you want to share together traveling as a family? - Creating Your Own Family Travel Story of Success
• What is it you really need to enhance, optimise & make the most of your travel experiences? - Relieving our lives of excess baggage
• Travel Planning - How you can live and travel on less than $25K a year - Sharing Travel Hacks & Creating Your Very Own Optimised Travel Plan
This Academy is hands-on, intended and intentionally designed for every attendee to interactively take a part, in a way that will engage, challenge, inspire and activate your collective passions to forge your own integrated, collectively woven, shared family travel story.
Prerequisites: This course is suitable for Adults and children 10 or above who will actively take part in the whole day’s activities. Everyone should bring their own laptop or tablet in order to interactively create their own travel plan.
About The Kaponay Family:
The Kaponay family have been living and traveling on the road full-time without a permanent home base for the last seven years.
For six of those seven years, as a family of four, they lived and travelled the world on a budget of less than $25K a year, and yet, they have had an experience that has been so fulfilling, it has seen all of them bloom in their transformation. Their journey has taken them to 44 countries on six continents, on an adventure of learning and discovery, a key aspect of their growth and development as a family.
Their daughter Réka 16, inspired by their journeys, became one of the world’s youngest authors, when at just 14, she published her debut fantasy adventure novel Dawn of the Guardian, within 18 months, signing a three book contract with a major publishing house. Their son, Lalika 16, took his passion for finding the best travel options and created and launched his own Travel Concierge Service, Destinator Travel. George & Bobi, inspired by their travels and learning, created their own Labour of Love Programme
Total Spots Available: 40
Teen Academy: Youth Leadership Awesomesauce!
Led by Greg Denning
Monday, Oct 29, 9:30am-4:30pm
Teens! Spend a day with like-minded peers and mentors. Make new friends, be challenged and inspired, share your thoughts, dreams and goals, and make a plan for creating an awesome-sauce future! With mentor Greg Denning, you'll learn how to make connections more deep and meaningful, discover the secret to lasting friendships, and learn the skills to becoming a social ninja.
About Greg Denning
Greg has worked with youth for 20 years, incorporating humor, fun, challenge and inspirational stories into his presentations and mentoring, to help youth become their best selves and achieve their big life dreams and goals. Every year, he leads 8-10 week-long, leadership expeditions for youth, both internationally and in the wilderness. He is a dynamic and enthusiastic youth mentor and hero. You'll be motivated, inspired and empowered to become better self and social leaders. Find additional free resources at GregDenning.com, and check out upcoming youth adventure trips at WilliamsburgAdventures.org.
Total Spots Available: 30
Relationship Academy: Happily Ever After-ing – On the Road!
How To Experience Family Relationship Bliss during Travel
Led by Jennifer Pearce and Brandon Pearce
Monday, Oct 29, 9:30am-3:30pm
Would you love to bond at ever deeper levels as a family in your travels?
Come learn to cultivate an increasingly supportive & loving family connection along your journey!
During this academy, you’ll become really clear about the skills we all need to develop as family travelers, to ensure our relationships together are thriving.
You’ll Learn How To:
- Achieve a satisfying combination of quality & quantity time spent together, incorporating couple time, one-on-one parent child time, & whole family time –– including time for yourself!
- Blend together right-brain approaches (feeling based) & left-brain approaches (thinking based) into your family communication & decision-making process.
- Hold space for emotional meltdowns during travel, from adult or child family members, without melting down yourself.
- Incorporate an ideal mix of adventuring with adequate time for rest & integration, by creating an optimal family harmony of structure, routine, & planning in combination with desired amounts of flexibility & spontaneity.
- Work well together as a family traveling TEAM, through providing space for equal support, acknowledgement, & expression for everyone’s feelings & needs, while ensuring turn-taking, and inclusion of each family member’s dreams into the plans.
- Increase a focus of compassion & appreciation in your family relationships as you travel together.
About Jennifer Pearce:
As a long-term family traveler for 9 years with her family of five, and co-founder of FAS, Jennifer is a certified high performance coach, and an enthusiast for intuitive, heart-led living. She finds joy in deepening her connections to the world around and within her, with a special emphasis on enhancing relationships, having received a bachelor’s degree in interpersonal communication. Discovering the interconnectedness of life, love, and making the most of it, is for her, the journey of a lifetime!
About Brandon Pearce:
As the supportive husband to his amazing wife, Jennifer, Brandon Pearce loves the freedom, growth, and joy that comes with the deeper connections we forge with ourselves, our families, and the world around us. Living his dreams and inspiring others to live theirs is one of Brandon's main missions in life. Brandon is the co-founder of the Family Adventure Summit, Music Teacher's Helper, and several other businesses that he runs from around the world while traveling with his family.
Total Spots Available: 40
Education Academy: Everything You Need To Know About Worldshooling! (Almost)
Gain The Confidence To Educate Your Child With Proven Practical Tips and Strategies
Led by Jenn Miller
Saturday, Nov 3, 9am-5pm
Do you dream of traveling the world with your kids and making the world their classroom? Or, are you traveling now and struggling with the "school" part? Perhaps you're just looking for some fresh ideas and perspectives on how to make this journey FUN for everyone and maximize the learning potential every day, traveling or not. You're not alone! Education is one of the biggest concerns world traveling families have. We all want our kids to succeed wildly at whatever they do and to be able to launch into the world with the skills they need, not only to survive, but to overcome and thrive.
Whether you are just considering worldschooling, are in the messy middle, or are beginning to consider how to launch young people towards university, or adulthood, this session is for you.
- We'll explore the WHY of worldschooling and then move into the HOW.
- We'll examine what REALLY MATTERS in terms of what you should "teach" and how to know if your kid is "getting it."
- We'll dive deep into methods and tools and explore options for kids with alternative learning styles and needs.
- We'll talk about multi-level teaching and how to juggle a four year old alongside one in high school and one just learning to read.
- We'll examine ways to maximize the learning wherever you are and how to leverage local communities for the educational benefit of your kids.
- We'll think through why we shouldn't really care what the public schools are teaching and whether we are "keeping up."
- We'll look specifically at high school and how to cover the bases for kids as they move towards higher education
- We'll plot the options for university entrance and show you how to get around standardized testing and leverage your child's time OUT of the system as their greatest asset.
This is a LOT to pack into one day. We're going to move fast and dive deep. A panel discussion will draw in a range of perspectives. You'll have the opportunity to ask your hard questions and work in small groups to brainstorm solutions to your real-world problems. If you're tired, burned out, struggling, or juggling, come to this session. If you're curious, interested, exploring, or expanding your concept of education through worldschooling, come to this session. My goal is that we come away encouraged, motivated, and empowered, with new tools in our toolkit for making our children's educations the greatest adventure of their lives.
About Jenn Miller
Jenn Miller traveled full time with her husband and four children for almost eight years, across six continents. Worldschooling her children from birth to university, travel was an integral part of their educational process. She is a teacher by training, a professional writer and editor in the travel and alternative education markets. She is passionate about women’s issues, social justice, and continuing to learn every day. In conjunction with the American Gap Association and BootsnAll, she’s developing the Travel Access Project, an open-source curriculum resource at the intersection of education and adventure; a free tool for travelers and educators everywhere.
Total Spots Available: 40
Business Academy: How to make a good living helping others through a heart-based online business
Led by Brandon Pearce and Ka Sundance
Sunday, Nov 4, 9am-5pm
Have you ever wanted to turn your passion to help others into a full-time living that gives you freedom and meaning?
How would you like to have more control over the time you spend working in a week, and where you work from?
How would it feel to spend your work time on projects you're passionate about and that are contributing something valuable to the world, where you can help thousands of people with one mouse-click?
In this all-day hands-on workshop, come learn from successful location-independent business owners Brandon Pearce and Ka Sundance as they share how they've earned their millions through creating ethical online businesses, and how you can do the same.
During the training, you’ll:
- Achieve the clarity, knowledge, and confidence to know what you want to create, and what steps will get you there.
- Learn how to analyze business opportunities and identify which one(s) are right for you.
- Change your money / abundance mindset to finally see what you are really worth.
- Gain new skills in branding, marketing, and social media to help you clarify your message and get it out to the right people effectively.
- Begin developing the characteristics and vision you need to make your business successful over the long-term.
- Leave with a new set of friends and mentors to help support you in your entrepreneurial journey.
Whether you're starting your first business, or working to improve or grow an existing one, this academy will help you take your business and life to a new level of success and contribution.
About Brandon Pearce:
In his 9th year traveling the world with his family of five, successful 4-hour workweek entrepreneur, Brandon Pearce is passionate about living life to the fullest while inspiring others to follow their dreams. Brandon is the founder of the Family Adventure Summit, Music Teacher’s Helper, and several other exciting projects that he manages online from around the world. Brandon has been featured on Tim Ferriss' 4-hour blog and in Chris Guillebeau's New York Times best-selling book "The $100 Startup”.
About Ka Sundance:
Ka Sundance is a father of 6, an energetic CEO of several multiple 6-figure companies,
green juice lover, inspirational speaker, professional YouTuber, social media expert, founder of the "DoWhatYouLove"-Tribe, and non-stop world-traveler. Empowering alternative, authentic online businesses to improve lives all around the world.
Total Spots Available: 40
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are you offering these Academies?
Because of you! 🙂 Many of you have asked for sessions that can go deeper than what a 1 or even 2 hour conference session can offer. So... we put together these academies on topics that were hugely popular at our inaugural conference. Each one is led by a skilled and knowledgeable facilitator, including those who received top marks by our attendees.
Why are these academies not included in the conference registration?
Because of the significant time, space, and energy commitment required to run several all-day workshops with the focus and intensity that is needed, and because not everyone is interested in attending an all-day workshop on these topics, we felt that asking everyone to pay part of the cost of workshops they won't attend wouldn't be fair. So we have made this an optional component of FAS 2018.
Will childcare be provided during these academies?
No. Unlike the main Family Adventure Summit event, where we have an epic kids program with well-facilitated and educational activities for all ages, these academies are for adults only (except for the Teen and Travel academies) and will not include child care. We encourage you to make arrangements with a spouse, other visiting families, or a babysitter to take care of your younger children so you can focus 100% on this learning opportunity. However, we welcome you to bring infants in arms as needed.
Is lunch included as part of the academies?
Yes! We will be providing on-site lunch during the academies for each attendee, along with a chance to interact more personally with the presenters and other attendees. If you have specific dietary restrictions, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Are these academies more for beginning or experienced travelers?
Both! These topics have never-ending levels of depth and growth. There is always more to learn and practice. Whatever level you are at, our aim is to provide value, perspective, and practical takeaways for you to apply in your own life journeys to make your family travel adventure more fulfilling and meaningful.
Do I need to register for the conference before I can register for an academy?
No. However, because space is limited, we are first launching these to registered attendees only, and if there is still space leftover, we will open registrations for the general public as well.
What is your workshop cancellation policy?
Just like the main conference itself, you can register now, and cancel up until July 31 for a full refund. After July 31, there are no refunds, but you can still transfer your spot to someone else.
Click here to register for the academies today! And we hope to see you there!